Thursday, December 2, 2010

First Time Swimming

Oh yes I almost forgot to say here that Brenna went to the pool for her first time on Sunday evening.  Unfortunately it was just too difficult to coordinate getting it on camera, but she had a lovely time!  It's great that she doesn't really exhibit fear yet.  But as we walked from the change room into the pool area, she held on very tightly and was extremely wide-eyed and poker faced!!!  So funny... I walked her into the pool and we went deep enough for me to float her around in the water.  She maintained no expression, but did seem to enjoy, though within 5 minutes she went purple!  So then I took her into the toddler wading section with has much warmer water.  We sat there another five minutes with her looking very wide-eyed and poker faced, and then she finally started to loosen up and did her splash-splashing that she does in the tub at home.  And then did she ever splash!!  Splash splash and splash some more, and she didn't even bat an eye when water unexpectedly shot on top of our heads (part of the amusement factor at the pool is that you get splashed in random and unexpected ways).  Her head and face got wet and she didn't seem to mind at all.

I spoke with a woman on our way out and she claimed she let her kids go under water as soon as they initiated it.  Her granddaughter was swimming with head underwater at 6 months old!  I can't really picture that although I've heard of people just throwing their babies into the water and apparently they do just fine.  Brenna did seem like she was going to go under water on her own while we were in the big pool but I didn't let her do it.  I'll have to find out a bit more about babies and swimming!

Well can you believe I'm writing this at 4am... so if the writing is a disjointed, that's my excuse!  And I'm not going to bother saving and re-editing later since the next time I'll have to edit will likely be 4am again... okay I'm off to bed!

Did I mention we now do co-sleeping?  (I had always planned NOT to do this!)  This was quite accidental and is a topic for another post... I've meaning to get around to posting some of my thoughts on attachment parenting.  Soon. :)