Brenna and I had come rather close to missing the baptism! Getting out of the house much earlier than normal combined with pretty dress, christening gown, and last minute poopy diaper were expected hurdles... the un-expected was having trouble finding the church! The baptism was scheduled for 11am, and we arrived at 11:05. But you know, I just didn't have the heart to go to stress land. I knew that I wouldn't begrudge a mom and baby for being late to a baptism, so I determined not to worry about it with us and instead thought of a dear friend and how she handles situations. Thankfully too, since I'm glad now I didn't trade the experience of such a special day for the confusion and tension of stress!!
Little Miss was a hit!! Daddy met us at the door, and helped put the christening gown over Brenna's dress, and we went right into the baptism as they were waiting patiently for us! Brenna had been fast asleep, so woke up with her usual curiosity and pleasant demeanor. She wooed everyone with her big smiles, and I think was quite thrilled to have so many people smiling back at her all at once!! Unfortunately, the church has a no camera policy during services, so we didn't get those moments, but we were able to stage some shots after the service. A big thank you to Rochelle's dad for being our photographer!
Above picture shows Brenna being baptized by her Grandpa Steve, while wearing an heirloom gown that was made for and worn by her Grandpa Allan. (It was also worn by me, my sister Joanna, our cousin Brodie and our Uncle Don.) We thought this was pretty cool!
Left to right: Grandma Joanne, me, Nathan, Uncle Ben, Aunty Rochelle, Pastor Steve holding Brenna.
Uncle Ben and Aunty Rochelle are her sponsors. Too bad we didn't think to get a picture of the three of them!
Here we are all working at taking her gown off. Nathan said the moment struck him like that of a bride with everyone fussing over her dress. It's true, there's something about these sacred moments in our lives.
Brenna and Aunty Rochelle had matching sweaters over their dresses!
Back at Gramma and Grampa's we enjoyed a lunch and then Brenna, for the first time on her own, opened some presents!!
| This book is authored by Desmond Tutu!! Sophisticated baby reading!! |